Monday, January 30, 2012

Slightly Less-Molten Lava Cakes

I love get-togethers. PID loves wrestling. Put those together and you get a last-minute Sunday night get-together to celebrate WWE's Royal Rumble pay-per-view.  An odd party to say the least, but one we had to prepare for. PID was satisfied with chips and pretzels but you know me, I just gotta bake!

I've been wanting to take a crack at a molten lava cake ever since I swooned over the one I had at Morton's The Steakhouse two Valentine's Days ago. I decided last night was the perfect opportunity to give them a shot.


Here's what you'll need for the cakes:

8 tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 c. sugar (with a little extra for sprinkling)
6 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
16 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
Confectioner's sugar (for dusting)

Begin melting your chocolate in a double boiler (or I simply use a glass bowl on top of a steaming pot)

Pre-heat your oven at 400 degrees.  Spray a muffin-tin generously with Baker's Joy until fully coated.  Then, sprinkle the tins with sugar, discarding excess.

Cream your butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Begin adding your eggs, one at a time then gradually add your flour and salt, scraping the sides of the bowl until fully incorporated.

Once your chocolate is fully melted and smooth, mix it into your batter on low.

Evenly fill 12 muffin tins and bake for approximately 12 minutes.


Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, then turn your tin up-side-down, turn your cupcakes right-side-up and dust with confectioner's sugar.



I allowed mine to bake a LITTLE too long (about 14 minutes).  Because every oven is different I advise keeping a close eye on your mini-cakes. If the center of the cupcakes begin to peak, turn down your heat or immediately remove.

Though my over-baking mistake meant mine didn't ooze with gooey chocolate, they were still completely delicious!  I ate two that night and they were almost completely gone by the end of the evening.  Semi-success and one that I plan to turn into a full success next chance I get.

Let me know how your attempt goes and if you have any tips for further perfection!




No comments:

Post a Comment