Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Daily Happy #5

A new book...



Let's talk about seven years ago.  I was a college junior majoring English Writing and that meant reading books.  A lot of books. Moving on to 12 years ago I was a high school senior in AP English which meant reading books. Also, a lot of books. From the 5th grade until about 2008 I saw reading as a chore and the intense desire to crack open a crisp new book had feigned from what it once had been back in the days of Nancy Drew and The Boxcar Children. For 13 years I despised reading.  It was something I "had" to do rather than something I wanted to do.

But...

Flash forward to the present and days like today when I can hardly wait until I have downtime to read the next chapter of whatever book I'm reading.  I guess I have to put on my shame face and admit that I have this beat up, ragged, over read book to thank for my new found love (/obsession):


Childish? Maybe.  But in early 2008 I succumbed to the mass hysteria and invested in this book (which took me approximately 6.5 hours to complete) and my life was forever changed. Since that day I have renewed my love of reading and for that, I am forever indebted to Ms. Stephenie Meyer and her very odd dream.

This afternoon I finished a book called Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.  I found this book because of my affection for David Wroblewski's The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.  Wroblewski strongly suggested Crooked Letter and immediately I knew I had to check it out.

In an attempt to avoid novel talk, I'll get back to the point.  When you get to the point in a book that you can't stop reading - it's such an amazing feeling.  But one that is immediately followed by the exciting feeling of pacing the aisles of a book store, breathing in the espresso and fresh paperback scents, and choosing your next adventure.

Tomorrow I start a new book: Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern (who wrote P.S. I Love You).  It's a nod to my chick flick mentality, but I'm excited none the less.


 I love the feel of a new book and the way I get lost in it during my 45 minute bus ride that seems to only last a moment when I'm reading.

For those of you who have lost the love of reading, I pray you'll find the book that helps you discover it.  The one that makes you find the time to escape from reality and invent your own characters and scenes and voices.  I hope you'll rediscover it and share with me the books that took you to that wonderful place.

Happy reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment