Friday, June 24, 2011

My Daily Happy #3

When things finally go your way...

When I moved in to my house in June of 2008, I noticed it came with a beautiful Hydrangea bush that had yet to bloom at the time.  I watered it well and crossed my fingers that it would produce pink blossoms (in case you haven't noticed, I'm a fan of all things pink).

Now I know full well that Hydrangeas are fickle. Their color can change year after year dependent upon pH levels of the soil.  So when it bloomed a mysterious blue/gray color my first year on Stewart Avenue, I knew I'd have to try something different the following spring. I've heard many times that it's far easier to go from pink to blue than it is from blue to pink.  So when winter came, I snipped off the dead flowers and started to strategize.

For three years I switched up my plant feed, both brand and frequency, crossing my fingers every spring.  In 2009 my blue was much deeper. Very beautiful, but still not pink.  In 2010 I finally got purple blossoms -- it was a step in the right direction!  Today, I came home from work and spotted my very first bloom of the season....low and behold it was PINK!

  
I know it might seem trivial, but it was such a lovely thing to come home to!  I can't wait for it to fully bloom. 

Happy summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment