Thursday, September 20, 2012

Brie and Fig Cupcakes with Candied Walnuts

PID and I have recently (and somewhat reluctantly) consented to becoming grown-ups. We engage in rotating dinner parties thrice monthly with a few of our closest friends and tomorrow is one of those  parties. Because we're attending rather than hosting this time, I decided it was about time to put my brand new convection over to work and make some cupcakes to offer for dessert!



Last week, I caught sight of a beautiful jar of fig preserves at the market and, without particular reason, took it home with me. When I was brainstorming ideas for this cupcake, the jar of preserves came to mind and I knew I had to work with it.


"What goes well with fig," I thought. I scoured my brain and my fridge simultaneously and it came to me. Brie! I also found some fresh parsley in my garden and some yummy walnuts in the cupboard, and thus my newest cupcake was born.

Here's what you'll need for the cupcakes:

1.5 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
8 oz. soft brie (edges trimmed)
1/4 c. whipping cream
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1/3 c. walnuts, finely chopped (reserve 15-20 whole walnuts for garnish)
 a few sprigs of parsley (approximately 1 heaping tbs), finely chopped


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 18 cupcake cups

In a small bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream your brie and whipping cream until smooth. Next, add your eggs, vegetable oil and sugar. Then gradually add your dry mix, 1/4 cup at a time. Finally, add milk and beat on low until incorporated. Don't worry, this WILL look lumpier than your average batter. Just press on :)



Next, gently fold in your parsley and walnuts with a spatula and fill your baking cups.


Bake for 14-16 minutes.


While your cupcakes are baking, start on your buttercream.

1 c. butter flavored crisco
3 c. confectioners sugar
1/3 c. fig preserves
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 c. whipping cream

Begin by beating your crisco on medium-high and gradually add your confectioners sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Halfway through your sugar, begin adding your heavy cream and fig preserves and vanilla until all of your ingredients are incorporated and the buttercream is smooth.



Fill a piping bag and get started on your garnish!

Candied Walnuts:

15-20 walnuts, broken into pieces
1 tbs. light brown sugar
2 tbs. granulated sugar
3 tbs. water





Heat your sugar and water on medium heat, when it begins to bubble, add your walnut pieces. Simmer until sugar begins to thicken into a caramel, then remove from heat.

Once your cupcakes have cooled completely, frost and garnish with a few pieces of candied walnuts and ENJOY!






I love the combination of savory and sweet! They're light and cheesey and DELICIOUS!
I definitely suggest them for your more "grown-upy" affairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment