Thursday, February 9, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes

I know, right? Totally sounds gross and weird.  But it was the Super Bowl, after all and when one of my favorite bloggers in the world over at The Cupcake Project pulled it off, I knew I had to try my twist on them. Let's just say...these puppies are NOT as gross as you think. AT. ALL.





Stefani used a slightly more traditional cake recipe with her dish and I thought it might work with a corn muffin mixture.  So I headed to my pantry and discovered one lonely box of Jiffy corn muffin mixture. Perfecto!



Here's what you'll need for the cupcakes:

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mixture
1 large egg
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. butter, room temperature
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbs. granulated sugar
1/4 c. crumbled bleu cheese
1-2 tbs. Frank's Red Hot (or your favorite chilli/wing sauce)

Mix everything together until well combined and bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Yields 12.

Here's what you'll need for the frosting:

1/2 c. crumbled bleu cheese
1/2 c. butter flavored shortening
2.5 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Cream bleu cheese and shortening on high until nearly smooth, then add powdered sugar 1/2 c. at a time, alternating with cream, until combined.

Here's what you'll need for the topping:

2 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 c. Frank's Red Hot (or your favorite chilli/wing sauce)
3/4 c. buttermilk
1-2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. peanut oil
1/4 c. Frank's Red Hot (or your favorite chilli/wing sauce) -- yes, separate from above
1/8 c. butter, melted

Start by cubing your chicken into very small pieces. Marinate these pieces in your chilli sauce for as long as possible, at least 20 minutes.

When you're ready to get started, heat your oil in a large saucepan on nearly-high heat and remove your chicken from the refrigerator.

Coat your cubed chicken in flour, dredge in buttermilk and return to flour for full coat while your oil gets hot.

Drop your chicken into your hot oil and flip continuously until the chicken reaches a crispy texture.

When fully fried, toss your chicken pieces with the separate 1/4 c. of chilli sauce and butter.

Place them on a paper towel to soak up all the juices and, when dry, top your frosted cupcake!



To my surprise (and I think the surprise of a few others as well), these cupcakes were multidimensional, savory and completely delicious -- the perfect appetizer for the big game! Thanks to Stef at The Cupcake Project for encouraging me to give them a try!



1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to experiment with cupcakes. When I opened the fridge tonight I saw one of my favorite condiments "Franks Red Hot Sauce". So I googled it with cupcake and came across this recipe. I cannot wait to try it! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete